Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Learning the Language

Dear Family,

I'm sorry I got cut off during my email.  I only have 30 minutes and I have so many emails to read!  It would really help me answer all your questions and share much more if you all use dearelder.com.  I've been kinda lonely throughout the week while all the other elders get letters and packages. ;)

Like I was saying in my email, I'm loving the language.  I've learned the equivalent of almost two years of school language in 1 week.  It's been crazy too since Cebuano is an unwritten language!  We are just putting English letters to appropriate sounds.  The language is so much fun.

I was a little disappointed in my companion at first.  He seemed to be absent-minded and, therefore, slower at picking up the language.  He's the only member in his family as well, so he doesn't have such a religious background or vast knowledge about the doctrine of the church.  But!  I soon realized that I had been too quick to judge.  I can testify to you all that Elder Terecena and I were placed together through inspiration.  I have learned so much about patience and love for my fellowman by working with him on the language and the gospel during companion study.  He is an amazing Elder and I am very glad he is my companion.

I was really happy to get a letter from Mom this week.  Something about physical mail is just so exciting.  It's time for personal study now, but I'll be looking forward to your dearelders all this week!

Naghigugma ko kaninyo.  Naghigugma ko ni Jesukristo ug nasayud ko nga manluluwas siya kanato.  Nagpasalamat ko sa Dios para sa pamilya nako.  Maguban ang Dios kaninyo.

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment