Sunday, July 31, 2011

Groundhog Day 42

Hey everyone! 
 
The days are counting down!  Less than 3 weeks now and I'll be in the Philippines!  Unfortunately I'll miss Robbie by 2 days.  I fly out on the 15th.  Which reminds me.  Make sure you are home on the 15th family, because I'll be calling you that day from the airport.  I don't have my flight plans yet, sigh... but I know that's the day when I'm leaving.  Oh, and do you know how much it costs to go through customs?  I know I'm supposed to have money for any bags and what not.  I just want to be sure I have enough to actually get to the Philippines.
 
So this week hasn't been too different.  A lot more of the same.  It just barely finished pouring rain outside right now though; that was fun.  Oh, and the temple has been closed for a month for cleaning, but it opened up again today so we got to go.  I got to do sealings with my district, and it was really neat.  I love the temple.
 
I'm also loving my language more and more every day.  I've deffinitely gotten better by only speaking Cebuano all day.  Nobody else is really doing it but me, but it's been really fun to see how sentences seem to come easier and easier every day to me.  I'm super super excited for the field.  One thing I found out though, is when my call packet said to not bring nice ties, they meant it.  Apparently, it is so humid in Cebu, that silk ties simply shrivel up.  The good news, however, is that ties in the Philippines cost about 20 pesos each  (about 35 cents USD).  So not too big of a problem.  We learned how to barter this week in class so I'm all set.  The money exchange rate is so crazy there.  I can't believe that I'll be living off of 60 dollars a month pretty soon.  Wow.  But yeah, what would you like me to do with all my silk ties now?  Mail them back home or what?  And how much would that cost?
 
We didn't do anything to celebrate pioneer day here. at all.  Maybe because on the 4th of July, the MTC appearantly offended a bunch of foreign missionaries with the festivities and they had to publically appologize for that at a fireside.  Oh well.
 
Oh, one thing I do need to mention, is how delicious a glass of half minute maid orange juice, and half welches grape juice is.  It's pretty much the best drink I've ever tasted.  Maybe.  It's pretty good.  You should try it.  The food has been going up and down in edibleness here recently, some days it's amazing.  Other days, I have salad.  I do have more food than I can eat now at my residence though, thanks to all the care packages you have been sending, thank you for the cookies Nuna and Papa!
 
I don't really know of much else that has been interesting this week.  We do get another 2 Cebuano districts this week though so that should be fun.  We aren't supposed to speak any English to them at all, as part of the new curriculum.  Unfortunately I think only 3 people in my district are capable of that.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll send you another letter tomorrow Mom!
 
Nahigugma ko kaninyo!
 
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment