Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Letter!

So, holy cow!  I've only been here a week?  There is a saying here, "the days turn into weeks, and the weeks turn into days."  This is my 7th day so it still just feels like I've been here for months.  It's great here though.  My District is really fun to be with.  We have two Cebuano-speaking missions in my district.  My mission is full of awesome, diligent elders.  One really likes to goof off so it's really hard to study sometimes.  My companion, Elder Terecena, and I have decided to study in a separate room from now on so it can be quiet, and I'm excited for the better study time. 

The food here is pretty good, and there sure is a lot of it.  I'm trying really hard to eat well and work out every night, though, because I hear it's pretty easy to gain weight in the Philippines, which is interesting because I thought it would be the opposite.

My studies thus far have been mainly focused on language, with just a few hours of gospel study each day.  My schedule is pretty much, wake up, eat, language for 3 hours, gospel study for 1 hour, lunch, language for 3 hours, gospel for 1 hour, dinner, language study until 9, planning, bed.  It's super exhausting, but it's been an awesome experience for me.  I know the Lord is helping me because even though I'm working and studying harder than I ever have before, by following my schedule and mission rules, I'm always wide awake for my lessons.  When they're over, though, I feel like passing out.

Now for the language:  I can truly testify of the gift of tongues!  I've been here not even for one week and I'm fully praying in Cebuano, and testifying as well.  The language is so much fun, and I know my call was inspired.  I haven't even been to Cebu yet and I already love the people.  I'm so, so excited.  I love you all, and I apologize for not being able to answer everyone personally.  I just don't have the time.  I will be able to email throughout the entirety of my mission, though, so that will be nice.  I encourage everyone to write to me through dearelder.com.  It's free, and delivered the same day.  I'm out of time!  I love you!

Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment