Thursday, August 30, 2012

8-22-12

Hello!

Dad, I don't hear anything about anything out here.  That's cool that Mitt Romney is running against Obama.  I bet this will be a really exciting election.  I have no idea about politics here or there or anything about the olympics.  I heard that Phelps broke some more records, but that's it.  That's interesting that you only have 1 active teacher in your ward.  How many are inactive?  What have you been doing to reach out to them and invite them back?  Do you just teach the active one one-on-one on Sundays?

This week has been another awesome one.  I got my new companion on Friday.  His name is Elder Mejos, from Davauo, Mindinao.  He is on his 3rd transfer.  When I found out my new comp was going to be so new, I prepared myself to begin training another new companion, but when he arrived, it was clear that no training was needed.  Elder Mejos is amazing.  He is the best most capable teacher I have ever been companions with.  He was born in the covenant, which is somewhat rare for Filipinos and was raised in a good family in the church.  He knows his stuff, and because of our righteousness and preparedness, the Spirit is able to work miracles through us, which we have seen in great abundance these past few days.  Mike Acero is being baptized this Saturday, and we are seeing many Less Actives accept the Spirit back into their lives as we have been teaching them.

Elder Mejos and I contacted a Dutch woman yesterday who was completely ready for the gospel.  It was really interesting talking to her because she moved to the Philippines when she was 7 and is now fluent in both English and Cebuano.  It was really interesting contacting someone who was so prepared for the gospel in English.  English speakers' thought processes are so different that that of the Filipinos.  I brought up the fact that Christ established a church when He was here through Prophets and Apostles, but that His authority was lost with the death of these leaders.  She then interjected and shared with me her belief that was taught to her by her father that all the different churches on the earth today are instruments of the devil to confuse the children of God.  "Wow!" I thought.  Exactly!  I then told her about the priesthood authority which has been restored and that God is once again speaking and directing his people through a living prophet, that we don't have to be confused anymore, and that Christ's one true church is again on the Earth.  She looked at me with a smile and asked, "Elder Garver, how do you feel when you share that message with people?"  The Spirit descended and filled all of us as I replied, "Sister, I feel, just as I do now, filled with joy and happiness."  She told me that she couldn't imagine how anybody could reject a message like the one that we were bringing to her and shared her feelings of joy with us as well.  She asked that we come back and share more.  It was such a spiritual conversation.  Very very cool.  She also said that she will come with her father in law, who is a member, to church this Sunday.

Another evidence that this church is true, is how hard the devil works at stopping people from receiving it.  Did you know, that in every single Lesson 1 that we teach to families, there is ALWAYS a baby that screams and cries and pees on the mom or poops itself?  Always.  The cool thing though, is despite the ridiculous amount of noise and chaos that the devil throws at us, if we are teaching with the Spirit, the devils chaos comes to no effect.  The Spirit still testifies to the hearts of those being taught, and they still feel the truthfulness of the gospel.

Well, we are about to go on a Zone Activity to the chocolate hills... again.  This is the fourth time for me.  I have been in Bohol for so long.  But my zone is a blast so it will be an awesome, packed, car ride and activity.  I love these Elders.

I love all of you too!  Take care of yourselves this week, and allow Father to take care of you all as well.

Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment