Thursday, August 16, 2012

8-15-12

Hey Everyone!

First, a cool experience.  I mentioned two weeks ago that we had an investigator, Mike Acero, who was solid, but struggling with Word of Wisdom.  He was addicted to cigarettes and had been from a very young age (random side note: you can buy cigarettes here as soon as you learn how to talk.  You wouldn't believe how many 4 year olds I see running home with packs of cigarettes in their hands for mom or dad, or how many 8 year olds I see carrying around cigarettes in their pockets or behind their ears.  Ugh.).  Mike was worried to simply stop all at once, because he said his body would shut down.  He said he needed time to slowly drop the habit.  We set a date for him to be completely clean, but as that day was coming nearer and nearer, the cigarettes remained.  He finally told us in one lesson that he didn't know if he could physically do it.  This is where the Spirit got a little impatient with us.  I told Mike that what he was deciding to do was not going to cut it.  God always provides a way for His children to accomplish the thing they have been commanded, and God does not suffer us to be tempted above that which we are able to bear.  I testified to him that his idea of dropping cigarettes little by little came by the natural man, fear and lack of faith.  I promised him that he was a child of God, and had power in his body from our Divine Creator to overcome and completely destroy the influence of the devil in his life, and if he truly trusted God, he would never smoke another cigarette in his life, and would continue on to baptism.  The Spirit completely guided me in saying all of this, and then we waited for his response.  He had a funny look on his face for a few seconds, and then he shouted to all the others in the house who were in other rooms, and made sure that the other members of his family who were listening where all paying attention.  He then spoke to us, and to all present, saying, "You all as my witnesses, I promise to God and to you all, that from this moment forth I will never smoke another cigarette in my life."  It has been 2 weeks and he is still clean and good to his word.  I testify to all, that the power of our spirits is great, and that through the assistance of God, we can overcome the weaknesses of the flesh.  We need not be controlled by bodily urges or desires.  I also testify of the influence of the Spirit in our teaching, whether it be in church, in the home, or in the mission field.  We are called to preach nothing but repentance, and we are to do it boldly, through the Spirit.  If the Spirit is present in your boldness, no elect person is going to get offended or upset.  Beating around the bush because we are scared to address someones real problem is only postponing their salvation.  Mike responded to the call, and is now being baptized the 25th.

So in other news.  I don't have a companion anymore...  We had Zone Conference on Monday and afterwords, Elder Plandiano went back to Cebu with President and the APs, leaving me to stay here on Bohol while, President finds me a new companion.  I've been working with the Zone Leaders here in Tagbilaran for the last few days while I wait for my new comp to get chosen and arrive.  I'll let you know what happens next week!

I'm glad you guys are all having so much fun back home!  Virginia really was an amazing place.  Keep up the missionary work back home!

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment