Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Week!

So my life so far is pretty much right out of The Best Two Years.  1.  This is NOT the language they taught me in the MTC  2.  We teach maybe 1 lesson a day, and maybe get a contact or two.  The latter isn't so much my companions fault though.  I don't think.  I have been assigned to the PIlar, Bohol Mission.  We are the most secluded area in my whole mission.  It is a 2 hour bus ride anytime we need to buy anything besides basic food staples, and at least an hour walk to the nearest investigator (of which we have a total of 1) and any tracting we can possibly do is a 30 minute bus ride each way, so we have no time at all for anything here.  I admit that because of all this, this week has been extremely difficult for me, especially when combined with the huge culture shock.  I see some hope though.  I'm working with my companion (a Philipino, Elder Santia) to teach him to plan better so we can use all of the little time we have effectively, and I just sent a letter to the President petitioning him for bikes.  Pray for me will you?  We had a zone conference this morning which was amazing.  I really felt the inspiration flowing and it gave me tons more hope for myself.  The language is crazy difficult here, but I think it is slowly coming along.  I can understand now about 1% of what is going on!  Maybe.  But yeah, those are my feelings so far.

Oh!  I got to baptize a little 9 year old girl my 1st day here!  It was pretty neat!  Her name is Cristine Dela Pena Orapa.  I love the kids here so much.

As to the actual place,  It's so different!  It is very pretty though.  I'll try to figure out how to upload pictures.    I don't know if I'm ever going to get used to cold bucket showers, and I'm very quickly growing tired of rice.  But no worries!  I hear my cheeks are going to be super chubby when I get back because of the rice, I'm scared...

1 quick funny story this week.  My companion starts freaking out one night because we forgot someone at the church.  From what I could gather from his broken english, we had forgotten someone named Manwell at the church and had locked him inside the gates.  So we ran over there at 9:30 at night, unlocked the gates, and ran in to get him.  He wasn't there, but a Gospel Doctrines MANUAL was.  They call it a manwel here.  Sheesh.

One more thing!  I need you to send me something!  Remember how Dad told me I didn't need a power converter that changes the Voltage?  Well I do.  Otherwise my ipod and shaver will explode.  can you see if you can send me that other one from walmart that limits the amount of voltage?  Thanks!  IMPORTANT: you need to send it in a priority mail, international envelope!  Otherwise it will go through customs and I will be forced to pay around $100 to pick it up.  The envelope should be about 15 bucks.  Thanks!

I love you all so much!  Thanks so much for everything.  Hopefully I'll have tons of good news next week!

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment