Sunday, March 24, 2013

3-20-13


Hey!

It's almost my birthday!  That's crazy.  I'm getting so old...

Don't worry about sending my any info on the vacation.  I want it to be a surprise.  Airline, hotel, and event tickets sound pretty extravagant though.  Are you sure you want to have this much fun?  Ever since finding out you wouldn't be coming out I've been trying to do really good at using my camera more, but I've found two problems while do so.  First, I'm taking a ton of videos, so I'm running out of memory fast.  Second, because of all the videos, I forgot to take still pictures and now I don't have anything to send this week (sorry Dad!).  Next week I'll have pictures of me and Elder Steiner.  Also, thank you Mom for all the diligent effort on my behalf for getting me situated with college.  When do I need to sign up for classes?

So about me.  This week has been crazy, but awesome!  Transfer day was Thursday, but I found out that day that the new missionaries had missed their flight because of a mistake that the new travel agency for the church made and they weren't going to come in until Friday.  I still transferred and just worked with the Zone Leaders in my old area in Toledo.  That was fun.  Then I traveled the 2-3 hours down to the city to meet my new companion at the mission home, but found out that they had been delayed again and were going to show up later that day.  I hung out at the mission home for a couple hours before they finally showed up.  The only problem was their luggage didn't!  Their luggage got lost somewhere in the flight and nobody had any idea where it was so all the missionaries in the far areas were instructed to stay in the city until they could figure out where all the luggage was.  That meant that I met up with my new companion, Elder Steiner, and then just waited with 6 others in the city until Monday when they finally found the luggage and got it to us.  During this time of waiting, President Schmutz had to make some emergency transfers and we got 2 more missionaries put in our area.  That means that it is now 4 of us opening up a new area.  None of us have any idea where anybody or anything is, and our Branch President is out of town until Saturday.  Luckily we have some members that showed up and are helping us out.  This week has been ridiculous but it has been enjoyable as well, especially now that we are working again.

So a little about my companion.  Elder Steiner is from Rexburg, Idaho.  He is 18 years old and the first batch to only stay for 6 weeks in the MTC.  Despite the shortened time he is pretty good at the language already and is a solid missionary.  We have been having a great time working together these past few days and the Spirit is super strong with us all day, every day.  This is the best.  Our area is super bukid (up in the mountains).  We are in the middle of a jungle but right by the ocean.  It is a great area with a progressing branch which I am very excited to work with.  You may be able to see us on google maps under Pinamungajan.

I love you all!  I'll send pictures next week.

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment