Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sept. 7, 2011

Hey everyone! This has been a great week! I really decided to try
and lose myself in the work this week and I have found great happiness
in doing so. The language is coming along slowly. My success in that
regard is that I have begun to be able to understand most of what my
companion is saying when we talk to each other in Cebuano. Well, I
get his overall point anyway. I'm still pretty lost when it comes to
anything outside a discussion, but I have faith it'll come with time
and dilligence. I heard from a lot of people that there was a talk
given, where someone said, if you read the Book of Mormon in your
mission language, by the time you finish, you will be fluent. I've
really grasped on to that promise. I'm almost at page 400 in the
Basahon ni Mormon! There is a total of 802 pages so I'm almost half
way to fluent! Hopefully. Could you look up that talk for me and see
if it's real? Or who gave it? I have also begun to really appreciate
the beauty of the Philippines. I'll try to send another email with
some pictures I took for you this week. I have found a great
love for teaching my Seminary and Sunday School classes here as well.
I try to teach them completely in Cebuano but it doesn't always work
out. Luckily everyone here is like 200-lingual with all the dialects
and various languages here, so they understand English well enough to
help me out when I need it.

I have developed a great love for the busses here! I love
traveling! We take various 2-6 hour round trips here multiple times
a week for meetings and such, and I absolutely love them! Mom would
absolutely flip driving here. Rules of the road, if they exist, are
just guidelines here, as are the lines and dividers painted on the
ground. There are motorcylces weaving in and out of both sides of
traffic going both ways, and busses hurtling through towns, overtaking
other busses around blind corners, over narrow bridges, and dodging
the millions of dogs and cats everywhere here. It's SO fun! I love
sitting in the very front with the huge window acting as a widescreen
TV, windows down, wind in my face, and occasional music blaring(they like
80s music here!). It's just awesome.

It's great to hear about your progress with the house. I pray for you
every day! About my scripture for the plaque again, I don't know how
long it can be, or if I can split up verses or anything, but this
would be awesome. DC 84: 77,79,88 If you could string those three
together, perfect. If not, just 77 and 88 would be ok. Or even just
77. Thanks!

I also have one more thing that would be great to include in that
package if possible, could you slip in one of my 8 gig flash drives? I
need a place to store all my pictures that I'm taking here, for
backup, because my 2 gig memory card is going to run out pretty
quickly. If I missed any questions, I'll answer them in my picture
email.

I love you all so much!
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment