Friday, September 2, 2011

8-30-11

Hey Family!
 
This has been one of the craziest experiences of my life!  Dad, like
always, you were right.  I should be careful what I wish for.  Also,
you were right about culture shock.  I'll admit, this week was
extremely challenging for me, but only in a mental way.  I've been
blessed with pretty solid health.  As of now though, culture shock is
just about gone.  I'm starting to enjoy it here, even if washing
laundry by hand every night is a pain.  So sorry for my lack of time
last time to explain my pictures.  Yes, that is my house, and my
kitchen.  The bag is full of eggshells which we give to our neighbor
to feed the pigs.  I live with my companion only, and we are learning
to get along.  The Branch is great here.  We meet for 3 hours like a
normal ward and we have about 45-50 members who usually show up to
worship on Sundays.  I actually am the 2nd Counselor here, as well as
sunday school teacher, and seminary teacher.  So I have a lot on my
plate all the time.  I love all the members though, and the people are
so nice.  We found 3 new investigator families this week and I'm very
excited to continue teaching them.  I get laughed at pretty much all
day every day, but it doesn't really bug me.  Seeing an Americano here
is super rare for these people in Pilar, so little kids stare with
huge eyes and girls point and giggle.  Mostly I hear, "Hey Joe!"  I'm
excited to be able to communicate better.  And yes!  I think we are
getting bikes!  We'll probably find out this week.
 
My scripture for my plaque.  I actually can't remember the exact
reference, but In Doctrine and Covenants something, I think maybe 84.
 Christ calls us his friends, and says it is expedient for us to come
unto him so that we may be called his friends just as His disciples
were his friends in days of old when they walked with Him.  Could you
find that and use that for me?
 
That is so crazy that you got hit with an earthquake and typhoon!
It's the second coming!!  So cool.  But we didn't feel any affects
here too bad.  It rains pretty much every day but nothing out of the
ordinary down here in Bohol.  Except!  I heard the craziest thunder of
my life yesterday.  I was teaching a lesson when all of a sudden I
heard what sounded like a firing squad of 20 soldiers, or literal
cannons right in the room.  BOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOM BOOOM for , not
exaggerating, at least 30-45 seconds straight.  I thought the island
was being torn in half.  It was so awesome!
I'm glad you are all safe and sound out there.
 
Also, Sisters of mine.  I love you so so much.  Thank you for helping
the family out and being so wonderful.  I know that the Lord is
answering my prayers for you through your service and dilligence.
Thank you for all your prayers.  I know they are helping me every day.
 I pray for you all the time as well and it makes me so happy to know
that they are being answered.  Keep up the amazing work over there and
I'll strive to do the same here.
 
I love you all so so much.
 
Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment