Wednesday, June 6, 2012

5-30-12

Hey Everyone!

I got the pictures of Bambi.  That's cool!

Our conference was good with Elder Nelson.  We do get to shake the General Authorities hands when they come, and Elder Holland also told us in October that when they look us in the eye they are really giving you a personal spiritual interview.  They see into your souls...  So I have gotten to shake hands with, and be interviewed by 2 of the 12 on my mission.  Pretty neat.  When Elder Holland visited he talked for like 2 hours, but with Elder Nelson, he only spoke for about 15 minutes.  I learned that words don't need to be spoken to still learn.  When the Spirit is present, He can teach you anything, whether on topic with the speaker or not.  It was a good trip.

This week was tough.  We spent many long hours traveling from Bohol to Cebu, and then I got sick when we got back.  It was just sip-on, or a filipino cold, but it took all the strength out of me and my nose was freely flowing during all our lessons.  It was super tough to teach between coughs and blowing my nose and whatnot, but everyone was super understanding, and we committed a Golden Investigaor to baptism on the 23rd of June.  We met Joceryl while waiting for a hable-hable (motorcycle) to take us down the mountain.  We started talking about the church and she said something like "Oh yeah!  I was taught by the missionaries when I was younger but my dad wouldn't let me get baptized, but now that I'm 18 he says I can choose for myself.  Can you guys baptize me?"  Umm...  yes we can!  She is changing her work schedule so she can come to church on Sundays, and is doing great.  We only get to teach her once a week because of her work, but we are mostly just reviewing what she already learned before, so it should all work out.

I'm not driving yet, and it will probably still be quite a while before I do, if ever.  There are only 3 areas in the mission with cars, so It might never happen, but it is good to be prepared.

I love you!

Elder Garver

P.S. Mom, did I ever tell you how awesome that photo album/book you gave me was?  It is.  Way Awesome.  Thank you!


P.P.S. Just wanted to let you know that your words inspired a room full of Young Single Adults here in Valencia, and is spreading to others all over through text message as we speak.

We were teaching about marriage, which is usually looked down upon here in PI until the couple is around 30 years old, because of financial reasons.  I recalled something you told me a long time ago and I repeated your words to them.  "If you wait until you can afford a family, you'll never have a family."  That impressed them all quite a bit and they asked me to write it down for them so they could text it to all their friends.   So, good work mom :)  Your parenting is helping people all over the world. 
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment