Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2-9-12

Hey Everyone!

Sorry if I scared anyone with my being a "father" in the mission.  It is just the way we refer to the trainers and trainees.  My mission President actually encourages it.  We have a greater sense of responsibility and love for those that we love, and a "child" really brings that out.  You want a righteous and powerful posterity in the mission, and therefore, you raise your greenies well so they can carry on your legacy.  I think it's awesome.

So out of all the new guys, there were 9 Filipinos and 1 American.  Guess who I got?  My companions name is Elder Shelly from Arizona USA.  Crazy!  The bad part is that I haven't actually met him yet.  He got a finger infection at the MTC in Provo (no idea how) and got postponed a week.  He should be getting here in the next couple days.  President said he will text me the itinerary when he gets it, hopefully later today.  This week has not been too much fun.  I've been working with Branch missionaries and it just isn't the same as having real companions.  There have also been a bunch of meetings called this week so I haven't been able to work as much as I would like.

We did a lot a member finding this week though and I was amazed at how hard-headed some people here are.  I was also somewhat surprised at how much I still love them and how determined I am to help them realize the blessings that they are missing out on.  We had a new guy move into our branch this week which I think is going to turn out to be a miracle.  He is an active, priesthood holding member and will hopefully be a great help in the leadership of the branch here.  The only problem is he doesn't know cebuano.  He only speaks Tagalog.  This is no problem for the natives, they all speak it too here, it's just me who can't communicate.  I'm going to start studying Tagalog pretty soon though.

We did feel the Earthquake here, and it was awesome.  It was right after District Meeting in the church.  I thought my body was just being weird at first but then it got stronger and stronger and we all realized what it was.  It was strong enough to get the fans attach to the ceilings swinging quite a bit but nobody got hurt that I know of.  It was just cool.

Hopefully Elder Shelly will get here by next week and we will be able to get some good solid work done.  I hate these weeks that are just full of travel and meetings and what not.  I learn a lot but I'm here to help other people learn too, not just myself.  I'm excited to get back to work.

Thanks for your love and support.

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment