Friday, December 23, 2011

12-20-11

Hey sorry Mom!  P-day got switched to Tuesday this week because of conflicts with travel for the returning missionaries and whatnot. So It's a bummer that I'm not going to get to read your letter this week, but I get to see you soon (skype) so don't worry. So to answer a few of Dad's questions, I really wish I was fluent and firing on all cylinders... I'm sorry Dad, but you had it super easy. Just going to throw some stats out here for you. There is a rating system for languages, which official name I forgot, but Spanish is a 2/5 on the difficulty scale, and English and Cebuano are both 4/5. Talking with missionaries here, I've learned that you never become actually "fluent" on the mission here, you just learn as best as you can, and that the average missionary starts clicking a bit more with the language around 6 months in the field. Now, all that said, I am not just blundering around here in the Philippines. I am able to have conversations and teach lessons pretty well, or at least well enough. There is still a lot I don't understand, and my speech can be slow at times, or a lot of times, but it is coming along. The other thing too is that, because it is an unwritten language, every island has it's own dialect and way of saying things. I've heard that I was born (my first area) in the hardest island so hopefully my next area will become easier for me because of my challenging first area.

Speaking of areas... Transfer day is tomorrow, and I am transferring! I'm out of my first area! I'm not a greenie anymore! My new area is Polambato, Cebu. So I'm going to the big island for a while. I am sad to be leaving Pilar, but very excited for the potential success in my new area. I've heard that the branch there consists of about 15 or 20 members that are active, but over 800 that are inactive. Lots of lost sheep that are just waiting to be brought back. I'm so excited to just work my butt off every day. I love work! I will definitely not miss all the down time in Pilar with all our travel. My new area is pretty bukid as well, but that means that it will be clean and beautiful, hopefully. Speaking of that, Papa, I think about you all the time when I see the sunsets here. They are beautiful, and I haven't forgotten what you told me. I am not taking them for granted.

I still haven't gotten any packages, but now I'm going to Cebu, I might get them a bit faster. We'll see. Thank you for the gift money, Nuna and Papa! I have no idea what awaits me in Cebu, but maybe I'll buy some new belts or some knives or something. There is so many amazingly crazy awesome stuff out here. I'll let you know when I find something to get.

So it was a good week, and I'm pumped for Polambato.

I love you!
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment