Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12-14-11

Hey Americans!

It's good to hear from you! I love email. It is such a great blessing to be able to instantly communicate across the world. I am also very excited for skyping the family on Christmas.  Transfer day is actually on the 23rd here so I may be getting transferred and things might change a bit. I will try super hard to let you know if it does, but I think everything will work out well. President really wants us to talk to our families so if things change I will probably be able to send a quick email to let you know of changes. At any rate, maybe it is best that you log on a bit early to wait just in case.

So things are going pretty well here. No real huge news or updates but it's all pretty good. This week was actually really tough for work. And laundry. It is now officially rainy season here and I saw the sun maybe 1 or 2 times total last week. It poured almost every day, which makes work near-impossible here since Filipinos have a very firm belief that if they get wet in the rain during the day they will get extremely sick with fevers. So all the people hide, and all the Filipino companions refuse to leave shelter until it dies down. It's interesting to see the stark differences in beliefs just about medical health and the world. My last companion truly believed that mermaids were real, and I had a couple members laugh at me a while ago because I didn't know that dinosaurs (T-Rex, Triceratops, etc) still lived in Alaska. "Elder that's your own country and you didn't even know that? How silly of you!" They aren't joking either. I don't know what is taught in the schools here in the mountainous wilderness of Bohol, but, yeah. We still worked hard and got a lot of good lessons in this week.

Bikes are still being purchased and we should get them this month.

Before I make an end of speaking, I would that ye should know somewhat more concerning my appreciation for mail. I want to specifically thank Emily and Shaelyn for their letters, as well as Nuna and Papa (with Brandon as scribe) and Grandma Hansen. I love reading your updates and I especially like to see how those I care about are progressing spiritually as well. It probably has to do with my calling as a representative of Jesus Christ, but when I read my friends testimonies and stories of their spiritual experiences, I am filled with joy and thanksgiving. I am sorry I can't write back to you all specifically right now, but know that every letter is received with a huge smile and and am grateful for them all.

I love you all!
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment