Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5, 2011

Hey!

I did NOT know you sold the house!  That's awesome!  Mom, I literally saw your email enter my inbox.  It was kinda cool.  Well congratulations!  It's so cool that the girls are going to have such a new experience!  Good luck to you all!  I'm excited to see the house in person, in 2 years.  Also Mom, I'm not sure what kind of Filipino food could possibly require a cookbook.  So far, all I've eaten has been rice with hotdog, rice with pork, rice with chicken, rice with plant.  There isn't much to it.  I definitely miss American food, but once every couple of weeks we get to go to the city and eat McDonalds, so that's awesome.  To bad its like P120 a meal.  SO Expensive!  like 3USD but a usual meal here for me is P20-P30.  I'll look at the license thing after this, and tell you about it next week.

I did not get any of Sydney's emails :(  Have her send them again for me!  I also have not seen Conference yet.  I will take a trip to the city this weekend to watch it with my Zone.

So this week is the start of my second transfer.  I don't feel quite so green anymore, and it was a weird feeling to see friends of mine in my area actually go home after their 2 years.  I feel slightly more like an actual part of the Philippines now.  It's a good feeling.  My sickness this week was not the typical cough and sore throat.  I was basically paralyzed for a couple days with a totally stiff neck and pain in my ear and what not.  We thought I might have Dengue, but I didn't and after I started taking medicine that literally tastes like poop, I feel a lot better now.  We have been tracting a lot this week and have run into some really great families.  We have taught some really good first lessons and I hope to have more good news about these families next week.  Work here is really so different than regular missionary work, even in most places here, but it is good all the same.  I also got my first chance to do a little Bible bashing with an old man this week, well more like I just answered some of his concerns out of the Bible.  It was cool, but he wasn't actually interested in the Truth.

We have an awesome opportunity to hear from Elder Holland on the 20th of this month.  He will be come to speak to us in Cebu with our area authority,  I am very excited.

This has been a good week, and there are exciting things coming as well.  Everyone here gets excited for Christmas super early, so we sing Christmas hymns all the time to start lessons now.  It has made me think a little about Christmas though, and I have a little request.  I don't know if I get any kind of gifts out here on my mission, but if I were to be so privileged, I would love money for a new pair of scriptures.  Mine are heavy, and kind of starting to fall apart.  I would love to be able to buy some mission scriptures to use proselyting.  Just a thought.  I think they cost about P2200 here at the distribution center.

Well I love you all!

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment