Sunday, February 17, 2013

2-13-13


Hello!
Mom don't worry, I'm definitely not expecting perfection.  Actually it is quite the opposite.  The nature of my calling is to visit and try to convert members who have wandered off the path.  This means that almost every member of the church I associate with hasn't gone to church or read their scriptures in years.  The Lord's warning is very literal in 2 Nephi 28:30 when He promises to take away that which we already know if we are not diligent in obtaining more.  I have come to realize how literal this is as I have taught inactive Returned Missionaries who no longer can remember the Plan of Salvation, or the 3 kingdoms of glory; and as I have witnessed how virtually every single person we teach has no idea what Joseph Smith did or that God has a body of flesh and bones.  I am simply expecting that you know these things and go to church each week.  That will be an unimaginably large difference from what I am used to.  You are safe :)

This week is transfer week and I am getting a new companion!  My new companion is Elder Afu from Australia.  He is a professional rugby player that left his millions to come serve the Lord.  He is HUGE...  We also are stacked this transfer with amazing District Leaders, and great new missionaries.  This transfer is going to be awesome!  Also, we have a car.  I hope Elder Afu can fit in it.
I included some pictures (yay!!).  The first is titled, "upon the isles of the seas..."  


The second is of a man we found while I was on splits with Elder Nacar. We were headed to a less active member's house when this man just popped out of his door and asked, "Who are you?"  We said we were missionaries and had a unique message about the only true church of Jesus Christ.  He paused and then said, "Ok, you can teach me," and let us in.  He is awesome.  He is mostly deaf but miraculously gains his hearing back when he comes to church, and is super super nice.  The coolest thing though is that he looks exactly like a Filipino Papa.  Am I right or what?  It's crazy!



I love you all!

Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment