Wednesday, October 10, 2012

9-26-12

Hey all!

Time is flying by at such a scary pace...  It actually scares me.  I'm not kidding.  I don't like how fast it is going.  Anyway...

Yep, I withdrew money dad, and I am hoping that will be the last time I ever need to do so.  I am still, however, trying to fit time into my schedule to actually get to buying the things that I need.  Even P-Days are now filled with things that need to be done, and I really don't ever have even a little "me-time" anymore.  I was able to buy some pant material and send it into the tailor shop.  The plan is to have enough time to swing by and pick them up after we eat lunch.  Making pants is pretty fun.  You go to this huge mall called SM and pick our whatever kind of fabric you want, then take it to some guy who sews and he measures you up then asks if you want anything special done.  You can have them put in secret pockets or whatever, and then you pick them up after a few days.  It's pretty cool.  Too bad a lot of sweet fabric wouldn't make appropriate missionary slacks.  I still haven't gotten to get shirts yet.  Maybe I'll have time next week...

The biggest Fiesta they have here is Sinolog, which is done once a year in Cebu city.  I missed it, being off-island last year, but I might be there for it this year.  I hear it is nuts.  Each little town also throws individual smaller fiestas all the time (That sounded like bad English... Oh well), and I get to see those all the time.  They are always thrown for mamy mary or some other saint figure.  They feature native dances and really good food.  Unfortunately a lot of the dances consist of men and women dancing while holding false idols above their heads and singing prayers to them.  Never-the-less, there are others which are just cool, and don't involve any idol-worshipping. No matter poor or rich, everyone gets into the party.  There are spit roast pigs lining the road and everyone you walk past shoves a plate of food in your face.  That part is nice.  Roast pig is sooooo gooood.

Mom, you definitely need to save some money to go shopping when you get here.  There is so much to buy it's ridiculous.  It's all crazy cheap too, if you can speak the language, so I've got your back there.  

This week was another crazy one (go figure).  We are dropping in for surprise visits to each companionship in our zone this week to evaluate their morning studies.  We are then bringing this back to ZLC where we will discuss what needs are and such.  We also moved out all the furniture are things from the Sister's old apartment and closed it out, and now are going to begin looking for a new house for other sisters in a different area in the zone.  The senior missionaries are lending us their car, and I will finally be able to drive again in the coming weeks.  So. Awesome.  I'm pumped.  This is a dream come true!  No speed limits in the Philippines.  Maybe I shouldn't have reminded you of that, but you all know all be responsible!  Then ZLC again this tuesday and Zone training on Thursday.  It never ends.

We had a great last Sunday.  Amidst many more meetings with branch and district leaders, we got to attend and teach a gospel principles class with 3 of our investigators.  We showed them the Restoration dvd and then discussed it afterwords.  The spirit was really strong and they all expressed how good it felt.  I'm sending a couple pictures of our Plan of Salvation lesson we taught to George this week.  He wants to be baptized really bad, but we are working on getting him married first.



I love you all!
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment