Thursday, September 20, 2012

9-19-12

Good... oh.  It's not morning anymore.  Good afternoon!

We just got back from a pancake brunch that the senior couple here had for all the missionaries in the zone.  It was so good!

We get to go to the temple once a month here on island.  The service is in English, but they also have translating headset things for those who request them.  I, of course, listen in English.  The temple here is beautiful, and I'm really excited to go with you Mom and Dad!

This week was pretty crazy again.  More meetings, and now, President Schmutz wants to find a way to put sister missionaries in our zone again so we are trying to find an area for them.  We also still need to close out the contract on the previous house the sisters moved out of and find them a new one, so that, combined with more companion exchanges means another week of travel.  Time is flying by faster than I can keep track of here.  It's almost time for us to be planning week 4 this transfer.  We are already more than halfway done!  I just barely got here!  It is scary, in a very real sense, to think of how little time I have left here in the Lord's Vineyard.  At the same time though, the work doesn't stop once I get home.  We read from the red handbook of instruction for the church the other day in Comp Study, and I am super excited to be a home teacher again.

I got to go on splits this week with an Elder who doesn't have the social skills that most do.  I was really looking forward to my time with him because I could see right off the bat how special and pure his spirit was.  I was nearly overwhelmed with the Spirit as I stayed with, and taught with him for a couple days.  The pure goodness of his spirit is amazing, and I felt the Lord's love for this Elder more powerful than I have felt of any other missionary I have met.  It was a fantastic spiritual experience to help guide him and teach him how to overcome his personal weaknesses and do the work of the Lord.  I testify of Christ's love for all us, and that He is always there with assistance when we come to Him for it.

I have been learning a lot as a Zone Leader about just about everything.  I did not expect this, but as I have grown more and more on my mission, and have acquired more and more skills and talents, my weaknesses have become more and more apparent.  I learn something new every day because of mistakes that I make, and It causes me to wonder at the glory and grandness of our Father's plan for us.  We are all so weak, yet the Father sent His Son so that we could learn and grow from these weaknesses.  Mom is seeing this change and shape her as she realizes some weaknesses with public speaking, takes it to the Lord coupled with her diligent effort to overcome, and is now seeing her talents and ability flourish.  Ether 12:27 is known to just about everyone, but the truthfulness, and perfection of it is often missed, and many don't grow as much as they could, because they aren't taking the initiative.  Weaknesses are awesome.

Thanks for your emails, I love every one.

Love,
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment