Wednesday, November 16, 2011

11-16-11

So, my new companion is named Elder Culango, from Davau.  He is a step down zone leader and has 5 months left on his mission.  Also, he is a boss.  I'm leading Pilar now since he is brand new to the area, and things are going great.  I think I was sorta trained to think that Pilar was this "outer darkness" area (that's what the missionaries call it here) and it was so hard to change anything with my old companion.  This new responsibility,and privilege to lead the area has completely opened my eyes.  Pilar is great!  I got to write out the new schedule for us this week, and in 2 days with Elder Culango, we did the same amount of work as I did with my trainer in a whole week.  I'm feeling super good about this companionship, and I know the area is about to explode with success.  I love love love working hard.

We are still working on Sister Flores' marriage stuff.  She is super uneducated so we have to do everything for her pretty much, and so the process is pretty slow.  I was a little nervous when I started to take over the area because I didn't know how I would do with all the legal stuff in a new language, but I have been blessed and I'm understanding and negotiating things alright.  I've really felt the Lord pouring out His blessing on me, and the area this week.

You asked how big our boundaries are.  If you look on a map, Pilar area starts in Alicia, Bohol, and goes all the way to Loboc, Bohol.  People here are die hard catholics, so that can be good or bad, depending on how gahi their mga ulo are. (hard heads)  They all have a belief in Christ though, so it's a good base.

My budget is about $70 every two weeks.  P1044 for transportation P250 for utilities and the rest for food and emergency savings and personal hygiene items.  I have bought some new lighter weight pants which were custom made for me for about $6, and I've bought a couple ties for 25 cents a piece.  Tie collecting is big here among the elders so I'm wanting to jump in too.  They have awesome little ukay ukays here, which are little markets that buy bulk clothing shipments with random unwanted american and asian clothes, and they sell them for super cheap, so sometimes you can find amazing stuff hidden in the piles of clothes.  It's fun.

I'm happy to hear you are all doing well in NJ, and I'm excited to SEE you this Christmas!  We can skype here, so make sure you have a camera and mic and a skype account all set up by the 25th!

I love you!
Elder Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment